An important initiative to encourage universities and colleges to make a firm commitment to series of practical steps to encourage and support Gypsies, Travellers, Roma, Showmen & Boaters (GTRSB) into Higher Education.
Your institution must commit to working towards creating the most appropriate and welcoming environment and conditions in which GTRSB students can stay resilient and thrive academically and personally.Higher Education Pledge
Colleges signing the pledge agree to:
- a named contact point for GTRSB students and potential students
- data monitoring of GTRSB student and staff numbers;
- building a supportive and welcoming culture for GTRSB students;
- outreach and engagement to local GTRSB communities and
- inclusion, celebration and commemoration of GTRSB cultures and communities.
The pledge has been developed in consultation with community members (graduates, students and academic staff) and is underpinned by key research findings and conclusions of successful widening participation initiatives.